Staged car accidents are set up by criminals to force other drivers into an accident. The criminal then makes a claim against the other driver’s (your) auto insurance. Here are some ways you can avoid being a victim of a staged car accident.
Types of Staged Accidents
Here are the common staged car accidents:
- Swoop and Squat: a car pulls in front of you and slams on the brakes
- Drive Down: A driver waves you forward, then hits you
Avoiding these Accidents
In addition to using standard defensive driving habits, drivers can protect themselves from falling victim to a staged accident by following these suggestions in the event of an accident:
- Insisting on a police report
- Recording the other driver’s vehicle and insurance information
- Filing an insurance claim; not settling with cash at the scene of the accident
- Asking for the other driver’s ID
- Using your cell phone to take pictures and recording pertinent data
Auto Insurance Protection
If you would like to discuss these types of accidents with an insurance agent in Carrollton, Texas, contact Mike Leonard Insurance Agency. They can get a quote for you or help you understand how criminals use staged accidents.