Jumping a car battery is a skill you will almost certainly find useful at some point in your life. The trick is to learn how before you need to know. To jump a battery:
- Park the car that will give the charge as close as possible to the car that needs jumping.
- Connect the red (positive) jumper cable to the red terminal on the dead car’s battery.
- Now, connect the other red cable to the car that will give a charge.
- Follow this procedure with the black (negative) terminals.
- Start the charged car. You may need to press the gas a bit over idle.
- Start the car with the dead battery. If it doesn’t start, adjust the cables.
- Let the cars run for a few minutes connected before undoing them.