The Fourth of July, also known as Independence Day, has been celebrated since the 18th century and during the American Revolution, but only becoming an official federal holiday in 1941. The Fourth of July is celebrated in appreciation of adopting the Declaration of Independence, drafted by Thomas Jefferson in 1776. American independence is celebrated on the 4th of July through fireworks, parades, concerts, family gatherings and barbecues.
With these celebrations comes an increased risk for danger. Although firework related accidents occur each year, these accidents can be eliminated entirely when the necessary safety steps are followed. Take these safety tips into consideration to make your Fourth of July memorable for the right reasons:
- Closely supervise any teenagers that are using fireworks or sparklers and prohibit young children from using them.
- Only use fireworks outdoors.
- If you are using fireworks, have water handy.
- Be familiar with the fireworks you are using and always read the caution label before igniting.
- Each state varies on firework regulations so be aware of your local laws. Fireworks may be illegal in your state.
- Do not drink alcohol when igniting fireworks.
- Always wear safety glasses
- Never relight a dud firework. This is extremely dangerous. Instead, wait 2 minutes and then soak it in water. Similarly, soak used fireworks with water prior to disposal.
- Homemade fireworks and illegal explosives are recipe for disaster. Don’t use them.
- Report illegal explosives to the fire or police department. If someone nearby is improperly using fireworks, illegal or legal, you immediately become in danger.
By following these basic safety steps, you can ensure that your Fourth of July will be one to remember. Mike Leonard Insurance Agency wishes you a safe and happy Fourth of July and encourages you to celebrate responsibly. Contact the insurance agents today for all of your Carrollton, Texas insurance needs.