Get festive with this delicious Cinco de Mayo recipe.
Cinco de Mayo marks the anniversary of Mexico’s victory over the French army at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. In the United States, this holiday is best celebrated by serving up delicious foods inspired by fresh Mexican flavors. Looking for a little food inspiration? Then try whipping up this delicious Cinco de Mayo recipe.
- 1 ¼ cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus more for coating
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Bring the milk, butter, sugar, vanilla and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to medium low; add the flour and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture gathers into a glossy ball, about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a large bowl and let cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time with a mixer. Transfer the batter to a piping bag fitted with a ½-inch star tip.
- Fill a shallow dish with sugar for coating the churros (about ½ cup). Heat about 2-inches vegetable oil in a wide saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°F. Working in batches of about 6, pipe 3-inch long segments of batter into the hot oil; use a knife to cut off the segments. Fry, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch. (Return the oil to 350°F between batches.)
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain briefly, then roll in the sugar. Serve warm.
This delicious Cinco de Mayo recipe is sure to put everyone in a festive mood. Are your looking for assistance with your insurance this May? Then contact the professionals at Mike Leonard Insurance Agency. Our dedicated team is eager to find you the right coverage from one of our many carriers including: Kemper, MetLife, Travelers, The Hartford, Safeco Insurance, Progressive, and American Strategic Insurance.