Halloween is nearly here! Make sure your little trick-or-treaters have a safe night with these Halloween safety tips.
While children look forward to Halloween night for all the costumes, candy, and fun, parents know that this holiday poses certain risks for their children. This Halloween, give yourself some peace of mind; try out these simple Halloween safety tips to ensure that your kids have a safe and happy night.
- When choosing a costume, try to select one that is lighter in color. Light colored costumes will make it easier for drivers to see your child while they’re out. You can also increase your child’s visibility by using reflective tape on their costume.
- Another thing to keep in mind when choosing a costume is fire safety. Only consider costumes that are made of non-flammable materials.
- Make sure your child’s costume fits them well. Costumes that are too large might make it difficult for them to walk around safely, while costumes that are too small might cause them discomfort.
- Choose sensible footwear. While your child may want to wear heels with her princess dress, flats will be more comfortable and pose fewer falling risks.
- Make sure your child does not go out alone. Either accompany your child or make sure they go out with a group of friends.
- Warn your children about traffic dangers and make sure they know to never run out into the street. You should also remind them that they should only cross the street at crosswalks.
- Ask your children not to take shortcuts through parks, backyards, or alleys.
- Remind your kids that they should never enter someone’s home or accept a ride without first getting your approval.
- Finally, make sure your child carries a phone while they’re out. This way they can contact you or emergency services if there’s an emergency.
- Ask your child not to eat any candy while they are out.
- Once they return, check their candy haul. Discard any unwrapped, unlabeled, or homemade treats. If your child has food allergies, then make sure to remove any candy that might trigger a reaction.
Follow these easy Halloween safety tips to make sure your child has a truly happy Halloween. Another way to keep your loved ones safe is to have the right insurance protection. To find the right policy to suit your needs, turn to the experts at Mike Leonard Insurance Agency in North Texas. Our dedicated team is ready to find you the right coverage from one of our many carriers including: Kemper, MetLife, Travelers, The Hartford, Safeco Insurance, Progressive, and American Strategic Insurance. Contacts us to get covered today.