Try out these holiday decorating safety tips.
A single accident in your home can ruin your holiday. If you are planning on decorating your home this holiday season, make sure that you do so safely. Learn how you can keep things festive and safe with these holiday decorating safety tips.
1) Keep trees away from heat sources: If you are putting up a tree in your home, make sure that you keep it away from fireplaces, radiators, heaters, and other sources of heat. This will prevent your tree from catching fire.
2) Don’t burn wrapping paper: While tossing used wrapping paper into the fireplace seems like an easy way to get rid of it, this is actually very dangerous. Paper catches fire very quickly and the flames can quickly get out of control. It’s much safer to recycle or reuse old wrapping paper instead.
3) Inspect your lights: Before using lights to decorate your tree or the outside of your home, make sure you inspect each strand for any broken sockets, frayed wires, or loose connections. Using damaged lights to decorate increases your risk of fire.
4) Get decorating help: If you are planning on stringing lights on the exterior of your home, make sure that you have assistance. Working as a team will reduce your chances of falling off the roof and will ensure that someone is there to help you if an accident does occur.
5) Avoid candles: You should avoid using candles to decorate your home as they increase your chances of setting someone or something on fire. Consider using electrical candles or tea lights as a substitute for real candles. If you must use candles, then make sure you never leave a lit candle unattended.
6) Use sturdy ornaments: When you’re decorating your tree, avoid using ornaments that are made of glass or other breakable materials. Fragile ornaments can shatter and leave dangerous shards on the ground.
7) Be cautious with plants: Certain festive plants, such as poinsettias, holly, and mistletoe are poisonous when consumed. If you are planning on using these plants to decorate your home, keep them away from young children and pets.
Try out these holiday decorating safety tips to safely deck your halls this holiday season. Want another way to stay safe over the holidays? Then make sure your home and your family have the right insurance protections in place. To get the coverage your need, contact the professionals at Mike Leonard Insurance Agency. Located in North Texas, our dedicated team is eager to find you the right coverage from one of our many carriers including: Kemper, MetLife, Travelers, The Hartford, Safeco Insurance, Progressive, and American Strategic Insurance.