Summer is the best time to give your house its annual home maintenance and keep it in top shape. If you are a new homeowner and wondering where to get started, try these handy tips for summer home maintenance.
What Kind of Maintenance Does a House Need?
Gutter and Roof
- Check for leaves that may be clogging your gutters.
- Clean your roof with a hose and look out for any loose or broken shingles.
- Remove leaves and dirt from your pool.
- Inspect your trees for any diseases. Get rid of weeds and trim any overgrown grass.
- Look for any cracks on the driveway.
- Clean your garage door and run a safety inspection on it.
- Lubricate the gate hinges if needed.
Piping and Valves
- Inspect valves for water, gas, and water heater.
- Check for any leaks in pipes and hoses, especially on your toilets and washers.
Attic and Basement
- Look for signs of water leakage, such as mold.
- Clear the vents and seal the windows.
- Inspect the electrical panel for any circuit shorts.
- Replace the batteries of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Perform a safety check on your home security system.
- Check the foundation and fix any broken steps or rails.
- Wash the exterior with a garden hose. Close all doors and windows before washing.
- Check kitchen and bathroom sinks for any clogs.
- Pour vinegar down the drain to clean it.
How Can I Ensure Proper Home Maintenance?
Besides safety, a well-maintained home will be highly valued in the real estate market and help you achieve a good resale price.
Inspect your house as frequently as possible and treat the first signs of any damage. If you put it off for too long, it may result in a bigger problem. Regular checks also allow you to make an annual maintenance list based on your specific needs.
With these summer home maintenance tips, you can ensure its longevity. Additionally, you will need the right homeowners insurance to cover your home from damage. For any home insurance assistance in Texas, contact our experts at Mike Leonard Insurance Agency. We are here to help you with all your home and autoinsurance needs.