You never know when a fire may break out in your home. For this reason, it’s good to have a fire escape plan prepared in advance. Your plan should be simple but effective in getting you and your family to safety during a fire or other emergency situation. The following tips can help in preparing your escape route.
- Plan two different escape routes for each room in the house. Take into consideration the use of doors, windows, balconies and roof in your planning.
- If you own a 2-story home, consider purchasing a moveable fire escape ladder for every bedroom to assist in your escape.
- Review your escape routes with your family and hold practice fire drills to evaluate the effectiveness of your plan.
- Keep your stairs and hallways de-cluttered for easy access in emergencies.
- If you have pets, designate one or two people responsible for their care during emergencies.
- Check windows and doors to ensure they open quickly and easily. Keep keys to deadbolts where they can be easily accessed in an emergency.
- Establish a meeting place outside the home after your escape so all members can be immediately accounted for.
Having adequate home insurance coverage will also protect you from a fire disaster. Get a quote to cover your Texas home today by contacting Mike Leonard Insurance.