Whether you brew at home or grab a cup on the go, there’s nothing better than a delicious cup of coffee to start your day. Let your love of coffee shine through this National Coffee Day, on September 29th, sit back and enjoy your favorite blend while reading through these coffee fun facts.
1) Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth with approximately 25 million farmers and over 50 countries involved in coffee production. For reference, the number one commodity is oil.
2) There are two types of coffee beans: Arabica and Robusta. Arabica is the more popular of the two with nearly 70% of all beans being this variety. Robusta beans are characterized by their more bitter flavor and by the fact that they contain nearly twice and much caffeine as Arabica beans.
3) Brazil produces 40% of the world’s coffee making it the world’s top producer. This is twice as much as Columbia and Vietnam which are the second and third major coffee producers.
4) Hawaii is the only state in the U.S. that commercially grows coffee. This is because coffee beans can only thrive in tropical climates.
5) Coffee is actually a fruit. The coffee beans that we know are actually the pits of the coffee fruit.
6) The world’s most expensive coffee is about $600 a pound. This expensive brew is made from the coffee beans extracted from the feces of Sumatran wildcats called Luwaks. As the animal digests the coffee fruits, the beans are fermented before they are eventually excreted. While this sounds highly unappetizing, the beans produce a smooth, chocolatey coffee flavor that is highly sought after.
7) You can technically overdose on coffee; however, you would have to consume around 100 cups before you were hit with a lethal dose of caffeine.
8) Coffee actually stays warmer when you add cream to it. Coffee with added cream actually cools about 20% slower than plain black coffee.
9) The largest cup of coffee ever was brewed in South Korean in July 2014. The “cup” of joe was over 3,700 gallons.
10) Dark roast coffees actually contain less caffeine than lighter roasts. While the flavor of dark roast coffee is stronger, roasting actually burns off some of the caffeine.
Celebrate National Coffee Day with these interesting coffee fun facts. Are you looking for assistance with your personal insurance needs today? Then contact the experts at Mike Leonard Insurance Agency. Our dedicated team is eager to find you the right coverage from one of our many carriers including: Kemper, MetLife, Travelers, The Hartford, Safeco Insurance, Progressive, and American Strategic Insurance.