Don’t be tempted to skip a song, reply to a text, or browse social media behind the wheel.
The dangers of distracted driving are well-known at this point. Anything from texting on cell phones to futzing with the radio, to applying your make-up, can shift your focus from the road.
Unfortunately, newspapers, magazines, and the Internet report daily accounts of car accidents that have resulted from distracted driving. The numbers are ever-increasing with drivers using smartphones, and the invention of smart watches that make accessing technology a whole lot easier.
Distracted driving results from:
- Eyes off the road – From staring at billboards to gawking at crash scenes, distractions divert your eyes from the road and what is happening in front of you. If the car in front stops suddenly, you could end up in a rear-end collision.
- Daydreaming – If your mind is taking away from driving to focus on what your passengers are saying, your reaction times will only slow.
- Hands off the wheel – Eating, drinking, using a cell phone, or reaching for fallen objects – refrain from doing any of these, as once your hands are off the wheel, you’re asking for trouble.
To distract yourself from the distractions, use these tips and be a safer driver:
- Turn off your phone. Try putting your phone out of reach or shutting it down before you start driving. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Any text or call you receive while driving isn’t important enough to put your life, and other drivers’ lives, on the line.
- Be organized. Whether you need to get out your parking pass, set your GPS, or apply a touch of lipstick, do it before turning on your car. That way, you’ll be better prepared, and you won’t need to take your eyes, hands, or mind off the road.
- Find zen. We all need a little peace and quiet in our lives. Make your driving time quiet time to concentrate and be calm!
Contact Mike Leonard Insurance Agency in North Texas. We’ll work to get you the right coverage from one of our carriers Kemper, MetLife, Travelers, The Hartford, Safeco Insurance, Progressive, and American Strategic Insurance so you can rest easy with excellent protection.