The top ten most commonly stolen cars and what you can do to reduce your risk for car theft.
As a car owner, you are always at risk of having your car stolen. However, there are certain makes and models that are particularly popular among car thieves. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, here are the top ten most commonly stolen cars and what you can do to reduce your risk for car theft.
Top 10 Most Stolen Cars
- Honda Civic (1998)
- Honda Accord (1997)
- Ford Pickup Full Size (2006)
- Chevrolet Pickup Full Size (2004)
- Toyota Camry (2017)
- Nissan Altima (2016)
- Toyota Corolla (2016)
- Dodge Pickup Full Size (2001)
- GMC Pickup Full Size (2017)
- Chevrolet Impala (2008)
Tips for Reducing Your Risk for Car Theft
- Park in populated areas– Parking your car in well-lit and busy areas will dissuade car thieves from targeting your vehicle.
- Install an anti-theft device– Installing a steering wheel or tire lock will make it harder for a car thief to drive away with your car. Installing a GPS tracking device in your car will not necessarily make it harder to steal, but it will make it easier for the authorities to track down and recover a stolen vehicle.
- Secure your car– Obviously, locking your doors and closing your windows before exiting your vehicle are two important things that you can do to keep your car safe from thieves.
- Do not leave your car running– Even if you only need to run in and out of a location, you should never leave your car running while unattended. Doing so is practically a free invitation for someone to drive away with your vehicle.
- Conceal valuables– You should never leave valuable items in your car in plain sight. Car thieves are more likely to target vehicles if they can see things like phones, wallets, or other valuable items inside. So, remove valuables from your car or, at the very least, hide them so they are not visible to people passing by.
- Trust your gut– If you have a bad feeling about parking your car in a certain area, then it’s best to trust your instincts. Moving your car to a safer location is far easier than dealing with the aftermath of a stolen vehicle.
These are the top ten most commonly stolen cars and what you can do to reduce your risk for car theft. Want another way to keep your car safe? Then make sure you have the right auto insurance protections in place. For assistance with all your car coverage needs, contact the experts at Mike Leonard Insurance Agency. Our dedicated team is eager to find you the right coverage from one of our many carriers including: Kemper, MetLife, Nationwide, Travelers, The Hartford, Safeco Insurance, Progressive, and American Strategic Insurance.