Follow this guide and learn how to clean out your gutters.
This fall, there are many home maintenance tasks that you should complete to prepare your home for winter. Cleaning your gutters should be one of these tasks. Cleaning out your gutters is incredibly important because it prevents flooding and water damage to your home. This fall, make sure you complete this essential maintenance task to the best of your ability. Read on to learn how to clean out your gutters.
Before you begin
Cleaning your gutters requires you to use a ladder. You should not undertake this activity if you do not feel safe using a ladder. Additionally, you should never use a ladder while its windy or raining. Finally, never use a ladder when you’re alone. Make sure someone knows where you are, or better yet, have someone assist you with this task. Remember, it’s okay to ask for help if you need it; your safety should always be your first priority.
- First, spread a tarp beneath the section of gutter you will be cleaning. The tarp will catch for any fallen debris and make for easy clean up.
- Next, position your ladder near the section of gutter you’ll be working on and climb up. Once you are safely positioned, have someone hand you an empty bucket. If possible, fasten the bucket to the ladder so you don’t have to worry about it falling while you work.
- After that, use a gloved hand or a towel to scoop out the larger debris from your gutter and deposit it into the bucket. Continue this process for the rest of your gutter. Remember to move your ladder as you go to avoid leaning over too far.
- Once the large debris is removed, clear out any remaining dirt and litter using a hose equipped with a nozzle attachment. Use the water to push small debris through your gutter and out the downspout.
- Finally, take a screwdriver and tighten any loose portions of your gutter.
Cleaning your gutters is an important precautionary measure for the winter weather ahead. Use this guide to learn how to clean out your gutters safely and efficiently. Want to take another safety precaution for your home? Then make sure you get your home the insurance coverage it needs. To find the right policy to fit your needs, contact the experts at Mike Leonard Insurance Agency in North Texas. Our dedicated team is ready to find you the right coverage from one of our many carriers including: Kemper, MetLife, Travelers, The Hartford, Safeco Insurance, Progressive, and American Strategic Insurance. Call us to get started today.