Reduce your home energy consumption and save money!
We don’t often think about our energy use. We turn on the lights and leave the air conditioning running without a second thought. However, your energy usage may be costing you more than you think. Take action to reduce your home energy use to save money on your electricity bill. Check out these ways that you can alter your energy use.
- Prevent phantom energy drain. Your electronics still may be using energy even after you turn them off. This phenomenon is called phantom energy drain. Prevent energy waste and plug your electronics into a power strip. Once you’ve shut down your device, turn off the power strip too.
- Use energy efficient appliances. While they may seem costly upfront, they’ll save you cash in the long run. From washers and dryers to dishwashers, look for the Energy Star sticker to ensure that your appliances are energy-efficient.
- Set your thermostat. Your heating and cooling systems use lots of energy to keep your home at the perfect temperature. Setting your home thermostat on a timer can help to reduce your energy use and your electricity bill.
- Swap out your light bulbs. Change out your regular light bulbs for energy efficient bulbs. Compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs have revolutionized the lighting world to use energy more efficiently. The simple swap can help to save you more.
- Increase your insulation. As your home ages, so does its insulation. The older it gets, the less efficiently your home retains energy. Every few years, be sure to check up on your home’s insulation and make a change if necessary.
Monitor your home energy consumption to save money on your energy bill. Want to save money on your homeowners insurance? Contact Mike Leonard Insurance Agency in North Texas. We’ll work to get you the right coverage from our carriers Kemper, MetLife, Travelers, The Hartford, Safeco Insurance, Progressive, and American Strategic Insurance so you can rest easy with great protection.